The seaside of village is located at a distance of about 71 km. south of Chania, at the end of Cape Mouri. It is believed that this was the site of the ancient city of Finikas, and was the port of ancient Anopolis. Later, it became the winter time port of the town of Sfakia, due to the fact that the enclosed bay and the small island in its entrance create a natural harbor where ships can be safe even at very bad weather conditions.
The village was named ("Loutro" means "bath" in Greek) after the baths which have been found in the area and from which water was directed to nearby Anopolis. Among the older buildings that you can see here, you will find the Municipal Building used by the first government, in 1821.
In ancient times believed in Cretan Zeus and Apollo in Delphi , some metres from the village you can see part of the ancient town and the temple of Apollon. (see video below)
In 1821 the seat of the Chancellor's Sfakia and founded a hospital that saved thousands of wounded fighters.
"At the port of Phoenix, now called Loutro, we see an ancient ruined city, whose columns are to got to the ground. The huts of spatial sarcophagi found very white marble, from which the pigs ate their porridge. I saw many mutilated statues busts, among ruined buildings of marble ...».
Buondelmonti, Cristoforo 1415
Phoenix. An ancient city and the harbour of Anopolis, near today's Loutro.
Loutro. An ancient city that owes its name to the existence of bathtubs with water channeling from Anopolis. Their remains are still there.
Aradaina. It is the ancient city of Aradin or Iradin which was probably found by the Phoenicians. It was an autonomous city with its own currency. Its architectural remains and tombs still stand there among the ruins of the village.
Anopolis. The ruins of the ancient town are near today's village of Anopolis.
Tarra. An ancient coastal city built right after the exit of Samaria gorge, where today lies Agia Roumeli. It was a small but powerful city with its own currency. The coins represented the Cretan wild goat on the one side and a bee on the other.
Pikilasion or Pikilassos. An ancient town between Suia (Sougia) and Tarra (Agia Roumeli) in Tripiti Gorge of Sfakia, at today's Boukelasi, built at and altitude of 400m. It was probably the harbour of Eliros. The city existed during the Archaic, the Classical and the Hellenistic periods. It was abandoned during the Roman domination and the settlement was later established in the exit of Tripiti gorge. The remains of two temples have been found along the coast.
Kaino. A small mountainous ancient city, built inside Samaria gorge near the banks of the river. The city developed in the ancient years and according to tradition it was the birthplace of Artemis the Britomartis, called Diktini, who was the daughter of Zeus. In 1991, they found an outdoor sanctuary near the church of Agios Nikolaos as well as many bronze and iron, arrows and spears. That was probably the oracle of Apollo or else, the Kirikion Andron. It is said that the nymph Akakali, wife of Hermes and daughter of Minos was worshipped there.